Friday, July 4, 2014

Esthetic Talk~ Weak & Brittle Nails

Weak & Brittle Nails
Causes

 

One of the reoccurring complaints I hear about as an esthetician is about weak and brittle nails. Nails that split, crack, break. I am always asked: Why does this happen to me?

There are actually several reasons why this happens. Here is a list of a few common reasons.
-Constant exposure to water
-Aging
-Malnutrition/lack of vitamins
-Trauma to the nail
-Fungus
-Long Term Nail polish use
-Chemical exposure (Can also cause nail discoloration)
-Over buffing of the natural nail plate

There is also a list of medical reasons why one could have weak and brittle nails. It wouldn't hurt to speak to your doctor to rule out any medical conditions, especially if it's accompanied by discoloration. Aside from the health aspect (as to the cause of this problem) I would be apt to look towards that last point. Over buffing of the natural nail plate. For those of you that like to wear acrylic or gel nails, I hear a lot of things like "Oh don't get them done. They made my nails sooo soft and weak." I think it's very very important to know that improper removal or filling of your nail enhancement is often the cause for this.

Another common question and issue I see is clients that want to know why they have certain markings on their nails. Nails that have pitting all over them is a classic sign of psoriasis of the nail. Leukonychia striata (horizontal white streaks) can be caused by a few things but usually resolve on their own. In fact many types of skin diseases can cause abnormal nail plates. Ridges are often caused by aging & trauma. Possibilities also include vitamin deficiency and underlining medical conditions.

I hope this helps some of you out there. Now I know what you are thinking. How can I fix them? I will talk about that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment